Federal Grants for Student Aid

Student Team.jpg
The federal government is making federal grants more accessible than ever before to students. Whether students are in their teens and attending college for the time or interested in teaching coursework, there is some form of aid for you. Want to know the great thing about grants? You generally don’t have to pay them back, unlike loans. That’s why you should apply for as many grants as possible. A smaller load of debt will help you get a head start financially after graduation. The fact that grants are free money means you have to put together a solid financial aid application that contains accurate, complete information.

The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) contains all the information that the federal government needs to award a grant to you. For people earning their first degrees, the following grants can help them with their school expenses. Federal Pell Grants are awarded to people getting their first undergraduate degrees. The only exception to this rule is the grant is available to people interested in earning a teaching certificate. Grants of varying amounts are awarded every semester based on your financial need, whether you are a full-time or part-time student, and the cost of attendance.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity (FSEOG) is for students at select colleges. It is not available at all colleges and is reserved first for students who qualify for the Pell Grant and is then distributed to other students with a high financial need. Students receive up to $4,000 a year. Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH) supports students interested in teaching. The unique part of the TEACH Grant is that you must take approved classes related to your future teaching career. In the event that you complete classes successfully, but enter another field of work, it will be converted into a loan and you will pay the grant back. Each student earns up to $4,000 a year if he agrees to teach for at least 4 years after completing the degree at a school that serves low-income students. Students must check that their schools have a TEACH Grant-eligible program to be eligible for the grant. Grants are dependent on grades, which differ at each school.

Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grants are awarded to people who aren’t eligible for the Pell Grant and who have a parent who died after 9/11/2001 in Afghanistan or Iraq. Applicants must either be under 24 years old or enrolled at least part-time in college at the time of the death. This grant awards a maximum of $5,550.

USGG has a variety a grant writing training programs to teach teens, college students, and adults to successfully write applications and win federal student grants. Check out our workshop schedule or contact us today at 866-843-3493.

Featured Posts